Monday 6 July 2009

The Apartment


I studied this film, film studies-wise, a long time ago, and have forgotten all the critical stuff now. But I loved watching it with Stonechat as she kept laughing and thinking she was clever in predicting some of the plot. But little did she know a comedy is not necessarily a bundle of laughs. This is a timeless piece (leaving the office scenario aside - that is anachronistically-wise)

MacLaine and Lemmon are brilliant in this underplayed film. Lemmon does his usual skittish behaviour but, after his triumph in 'Some like it hot' he has really mastered the art of his film character in this film - and deservedly won an Oscar - acting-wise.

Billy Wilder (left) with Jack Lemmon

Billy Wilder directed, produced and/or wrote classics "Some like it hot" (with Marilyn Monroe and Tony Curtis), and "The Seven Year Itch" (with the iconic Marilyn skirt scene). But he also handled serious material, "Sunset Boulavard," "Stalag 17," and one of my favourites "Double Indemnity," Sad to think he attended Lemmon's funeral and a year later was pushing up daisies himself.



Two 'doors' down - death-wise is Jack Lemmon:


And of course Shirley MacLaine is still with us....... weird-wise that is! [Reviewed by Nuthatch]

I really loved this film. I thought that Lemmon was absolutely perfect and so completely likeable, despite seeming at times completely morally bankrupt! I found the premise slightly unbelievable as although we see that Lemmon is motivated into renting out his apartment through the inability to say no and his desire to get on in the company, I wasn't totally convinced that the situation could have really escalated to that point. However, I was very much swept away with the spirit of the film and loved its constant twists and turns. I was also intrigued that it was quite a morally ambiguous film, despite being filmed in 1950s America, and I would be interested to find out how it was generally received at the time of its release. I think it is definitely a film I would revisit in the future and is very deservedly remembered as a classic. [Reviewed by Stonechat]

No comments:

Post a Comment