Tuesday 26 May 2009

Stranger than fiction

Interesting concept. Protagonist runs around and suddenly realises there's a voice narrating his every action and commenting in that third person style. I like the bits where he firstly visits the therapist and has to explain, no, it's not he imagines, but that he hears a voice, and it's following him everywhere. The plot falls down and for me loses it when he arrives at Emma Thompson's door. t that point there is only one resolution available - kill him, or not, but surely the latter is feeble. If she did kill him, what would we be watching? Her story now instead of his? The other problem I had was with him. Ever since being so bored at Christmas that I watched his portrayal of an elf, I can't see him in anything else. And as for actually being fancied by Maggie Gyllehaal!!

Pleasant enough, but not again thanks. And for those fans of Emma - surely she should be made Dame Emma, here's a picture for no other reason than beauty should be celebrated.

P.S. I loved her Nanny McPhee - that was a story, and I see Emma must have enjoyed working with Maggie as they are both cast in Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang (2010) [Reviewed by Nuthatch]

I thought the concept was really clever but unfortunately I'd had a hard day at work and my bed was calling me [Reviewed by Nightjar]

Rather enjoyable film - that's all [Reviewed by Merlin]

I'd seen this one before and hadn't been immensely impressed. I thought the concept and the first half of the film were excellent. Farrell was endearing and the story and direction were quirky enough to hold my interest. I felt the film fell down during the later half and the happy ending didn't really do any justice to what had been a very intriguing premise. I have to say that a second viewing was actually slightly better than a first as I was prepared for the let down at the end and so hadn't had my hopes raised for a cleverer film than this ultimately turned out to be.

It reminded me a little of The Truman Show, again another promising film about a man who wakes up in a strange situation largely beyond his control, which failed to deliver a satisfying ending with any real punch. I have to say that Emma Thompson was wonderful as usual! I found Dustin Hoffman's presence a little confusing, but then he has also been recently seen in such terrible films as Meet the Fockers and surely it can all be put down to old age!
[Reviewed by Stonechat]

No comments:

Post a Comment